Black History Month Banner Program
Presented in partnership with the City of DeFuniak Springs
Main Street DeFuniak Springs, in partnership with the City of DeFuniak Springs, announced today their 2022 Black History Month Banner Program. During the month of February personalized banners featuring prominent African American individuals who have impacted the City of DeFuniak Springs, Florida, will be displayed on Baldwin Avenue.
The application, available online at https://mainstreetdfs.org, reads, “From honoring the past to inspiring the future, the mission of the Main Street’s Black History Month Banner Program is to connect all citizens with knowledge and reflection on the varied accomplishments of our African American community.”
To qualify for the Black History Month Banner Program, the following criteria must be met:
- Individual must be a visionary and/or dedicated leader that has made a significant contribution in the African American community through their profession or participation in the City of DeFuniak Springs.
- A biography of the nominee which could include birth date and location, educational background, and a summary of their life history.
- Description of the nominee’s work in social justice and/ or civic accomplishment.
- Example(s) of instances when the nominee has been a defining force in this area.
- Challenges that the nominee has overcome to work in the field of social justice and/or civic accomplishment or acted as an instrument for social justice and/or civic accomplishment.
- List any related awards or recommendations that the nominee has received.
- 4X6″photo or high-resolution digital image resolution of 300 dpi or higher.
- Application and nomination letter must be submitted no later than 4:00 p.m. on January 14, 2022.
Applications are available online at https://bit.ly/MSD_BHMBannerProgram. Physical applications can be picked up from Main Street DeFuniak Springs, 694 Baldwin Avenue, Suite 4, DeFuniak Springs, FL 32435; City Hall, 71 US-90, DeFuniak Springs, FL 32433; Fisher’s Pharmacy, 688 Baldwin Avenue, DeFuniak Springs, FL 32435; or Soiree, 804 BALDWIN AVENUE, DeFuniak Springs, FL 32435.
Applications must be mailed to PO Box 681, DeFuniak Springs, FL 32435. To be considered, applications must be in-hand by 4:00 p.m. on January 14, 2022. The cost to participate is $55.00 and will be invoiced once the application is reviewed and approved by the selection committee. Up to 20 honorees will be displayed on the ten lamp posts between S. 5th St. and S. 10th St. along Baldwin Avenue in Downtown DeFuniak Springs during the month of February.
For more information on this program, please contact Chelsea Blaich at [email protected] or call (850) 296-9051.