Main Street Recognizes National Autism Month
Main Street DeFuniak Springs is proud to have partnered with Autism Society of Florida for National Autism Awareness Month • Join us in support of their annual fundraising bike ride to raise money for autism and disABILITIES • Find out more about supporting their Florida Team in the Bike to the Beach challenge here: https://my.biketothebeach.org/AutismSocietyFlorida2022
Autism, or autism spectrum disorder (ASD), refers to a broad range of conditions characterized by challenges with social skills, repetitive behaviors, speech and nonverbal communication. According to the Centers for Disease Control, Autism affects an estimated 1 in 44 children in the United States today. April is National Autism Awareness Month, when advocates emphasize the need for public awareness to promote acceptance and inclusion of those with autism.
Organizations commemorate the month through advocacy and volunteerism – and by sharing stories and providing opportunities for involvement.
The Autism Society of Florida is a nonprofit 501(c)(3). Our board of directors are all volunteer parents of people with autism and adults with autism. We are an affiliate of the Autism Society of America. For 34 years, we have been working to ensure full participation and self-determination in every aspect of life for people across the autism spectrum. We work every day to empower lives by opening avenues of self-advocacy and advocating on behalf of others in a way that values equity, respect, dignity and diversity in all communities.
Bike to the Beach is a community of people who combine biking, purpose, and fun to inspire individuals to overcome obstacles through personal challenge and to inspire the larger community to raise funds and awareness for Autism, the most prevalent developmental disability in the world.
We bike to the beach (100, 50, & 25 mile ride options) in partnership with local non-profit organizations that make a real impact in your neighborhood.
Join the Autism Society of Florida team and help us support the cause! We are participating in an annual fundraising bike ride to raise money for autism and disABILITIES.
Did you know that …
- Kids with autism drown at a rate 160 times more than typically developing kids? ASF uses the funds from Bike to the Beach to provide swim lessons to kids with autism and train swim instructors on how to teach kids with autism to swim
- Every 21 minutes a child is diagnosed with Autism
- 13% of our population that lives with a disABILITY.
- Autism is the 2nd most prevalent developmental disorder in the world, but receives less federal funding than any other disorder affecting children.
- Only 15% of these with an intellectual and/or developmental disability are employed.
- The Autism Society of Florida is 100% volunteer, meaning that every dollar raised goes directly to programs.
We need your support to provide hope for those individuals dealing with Autism each day.
We would appreciate any effort on your behalf to support our journey and improve the lives of those who are touched by autism and disABILITIES. If you would like to donate to help improve the lives of Americans dealing with Autism, please contribute to our fundraising page.